Tuesday, April 1, 2014

If at first you don't succeed...

This morning I tried a technique that I saw shared by Lydia on Splitcoaststampers, where you partially stamp an image by masking the bottom of it off, and then create a watery reflection underneath it as if the flowers are resting in a puddle.  



Lydia's is MUCH better than mine but I will keep working at it!  Her blog has the link to the original video tutorial for this technique, and it is amazing.  What creative and talented people there are out there!  I love learning new things!

I am still experimenting with how to do this, so you can see that my first attempt below didn't turn out so well.  The "reflection" is too crisp and it looks strange.  It kind of looks like one bunch of tulips being held halfway under water: 



This second attempt is a bit better.  The reflection is not so defined and has just a hint of the flowers' shapes in it:


First I masked off the bottom portion of the watercolor paper with a post it note, and then stamped the flowers in Desert Sand Memento Ink (just to get a faint outline for me to follow).  I colored the flowers and the reflection with watercolor pencils and blended with a water brush.  I'll keep working at it!  That's it for now - got to run and see if my car is defrosted yet... have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful! I love the watery effect!

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...