Friday, April 4, 2014

Inlaid Die Watercolor Card

Today on Splitcoaststampers we were challenged to create a card that uses two layers that are the EXACT same color, stuck right on top of each other.  It was a tone-on-tone challenge.  I usually like my layers to have a "frame" around them of a different color, so this was a good challenge for me!  I used watercolor paper for both the card base and the layer, and I really like the texture of the paper.



Stamps:  SU People Like You and Perfect Pennants
Ink:  Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads in Peacock Feathers and Peeled Paint, StazOn Jet Black, SU Regal Rose and Daffodil Delight
Paper:  watercolor paper
Accessories:  Oval dies, aquapainter, craft sheet

----------------------------------
For the main image, I did an inlaid watercolor technique that I've been wanting to try for a while.  I die cut an oval from the center of the mat layer, and then I took the oval out and colored it with distress inks.  I did this by smooshing two distress ink pads (Peacock Feathers and Peeled Paint) onto my craft mat, spraying them with water until the ink beaded up, and then laying the oval face down on top of the puddles to soak up the color.  Once it was dry, I fitted it (inlaid it) back into the frame.  I taped the whole thing to a backing of white cardstock to stabilize it so that I could pop it up on foam adhesive to give it some dimension.  That's a good trick when your layer is the same color as the card base, because popping it up on dimensionals creates a little drop shadow that can help your eye see the two layers.  Here are a couple close-ups of the inlaid oval against the white frame:



For the lotus flowers (or are they water lilies?), I stamped the larger flower from SU's single stamp, "People Like You" twice in StazOn Jet Black ink onto watercolor paper.  I colored them with Regal Rose reinker and my aquapainter, with a little Daffodil Delight in the centers, and fussy-cut them out.  I staggered them a bit onto the oval, letting the edges of the flowers hang out onto the white frame a little.  The higher flower on the right is taped directly down onto the oval, while the lower one on the left is popped up on dimensionals to give it some lift.  Because of all the bright, watery color going on in this card, I wanted something crisp and black to tie it together and ground it a little, so I chose the sentiment from the Perfect Pennants stamp set (SU), stamped it onto a scrap of watercolor paper, cut it out and taped it flat onto the card.  And that's it!  Hope you enjoyed seeing my creative process a little bit here... have a great Friday and thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...