Thursday, June 26, 2014

Dripped Candle Wax Technique

Today's Splitcoaststampers "Ways To Use It" challenge asked us to use crayons in some way on our card.  Well, I don't have crayons.  Not a one.  I teach kids all day long, and in my classroom I am constantly picking crayons up off the floor, but do I have any in my personal possession?  Not a single waxy stub.  So what's a girl to do?  I looked around the house, and the only wax to be found was a candle from the living room.  Necessity is the mother of invention, right?  So I brought it upstairs to my stamping space and started puttering.

First, I cut a piece of paper that had text printed on it, and dribbled some melted wax from the lit candle all over the surface.  After it cooled, I smooshed three distress inkpads onto my craft mat.  I sprayed it with water, turned the wax-dribbled paper onto it face-down, and pressed to let the paper absorb some of the ink.  The idea was to have the waxed areas resist the ink and stay white.



Here's how it looked when the ink dried.

 

There was a rather large blob of wax in the middle, and I wanted to get the rest of the wax off anyway.  So I took the piece to my ironing board, sandwiched it between double layers of scratch paper, and pressed it with a medium hot iron (no steam).  The wax melted and soaked into the scratch paper, leaving my inked piece clean and wax-free.

As I looked at it, I started to think of old books, aged texts, hand-written ledgers and letters, etc.  Like what you might find on the desk in an old study or library.  So I decided to make this a "thinking of you" card with an old-fashioned letter-writing theme.  As a focal point, I picked a stamp set that includes a vintage-looking pocket watch, because it looks like something you might find on the desk in an old study.  I stamped and colored it in, sponging it to age it a little, and then covered the face of the clock with a layer of Glossy Accents.  This would take a long time to dry, so I put it aside.


Next I started fussing with the layers of the card.  I wanted it to appear like you were looking straight down at the top of a desk, with a somewhat messy stack of papers there, including a letter that someone had started to write, with the pocket watch cut out and laid on top.  I created a page that looked like an old ledger, with some script stamped on it, and a mini notebook page with "thinking of you" stamped at the top:

 

For sponging I used Creamy Caramel and Baked Brown Sugar, and for stamping I used Early Espresso and Bermuda Bay.  I also created some little banners to put on the left side of the card to balance out the visual weight of things.  

And here's the final product!


I'm really not sure this qualifies for the challenge because there wasn't a single crayon used anywhere on this project.  But I sure had fun putting it together!  Thanks for looking!

---------------------
Stamps: SU Clockworks, Nice & Narrow, LJD Pretty Poppies, Hero Arts Ledger Background, Hero Arts Small Notebook, Hero Arts Old Letter Writing

Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Peeled Paint, Tea Dye, and Walnut Stain, StazOn Timber Brown, SU Baked Brown Sugar, Creamy Caramel, Bermuda Bay, Early Espresso, Old Olive

Paper: SU Bermuda Bay, Lucky Limeaid, Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, First Edition DSP

Accessories: Brads, SU Banner Punch, candle, iron, Glossy Accents, 1/8" hole punch, sponge wedge, SU marker in Baked Brown Sugar

1 comment:

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...