Thursday, June 26, 2014

Hooray! School's out!

...and that means more time to create! Smiley



I really can't tell you how excited I am about the way this card turned out!  I saw the photo below online, and I thought how cool it would be if I could recreate that idea on a card. I added a towel and some water to mine.


Original photo source

It took quite a bit of tinkering but I LOVE the results.  I was able to get some more use out of some long-retired products as well, which is a bonus!

I found the adorable flip flop stickers at Michael's (they're by Jolee), and they're quite rigid and more than 1/8" thick... so I am hoping they will survive the USPS if I choose to mail this card.  This might be a bubble envelope situation, we'll see.  

The towel is made from a 3"x2" piece of sticky-back canvas, which I chose because of its cloth-like texture.  First I sponged it all over with Daffodil Delight ink, and then I stamped on top of that in Melon Mambo ink with the Beautiful Batik stamp set by SU (which I hadn't used since 2005; wow!).  I used a Sahara Sand marker to create the drop shadow around the edge of the towel.  

As for the words, I wanted to recreate the look of writing in the sand, so I first stamped a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock with the tiny speckles from the Itty Bitty Backgrounds set (another golden oldie), and sponged it a little with Creamy Caramel ink to give it some dimension.  Then I put the piece on my cutting mat and used a pencil to lightly write in the word "summer," being careful not to write in the space where the water would go.  Taking my paper piercing tool (you could also use a push-pin), I carefully scratched through the cardstock over each letter, all the way through to the other side.  The paper fibers break and curl up where the sharp tool scratches them, the way sand does at the surface when you write in it.  I put a piece of Early Espresso cardstock underneath to act as a mat for the layer, and the dark brown showing through helps the writing to look darker and more like wet, damp sand.  I used a clean eyeshadow applicator to sponge some Soft Suede ink over the letters as well, to accentuate them a bit more.  I bought a whole package of these little applicators at the drug store for a buck, and I label each one with a color as I use them.  They're great for tiny detail sponging.

A note to other stampers:  I tried three different "scratchy tools" to make the letters on a scrap of cardstock before I finally settled on the paper piercer.  I tried a hobby knife and the smaller tool from the Undefined stamp carving kit from SU.  The hobby blade was too precise and just made clean incisions, not scratches.  The stamp carving tool was too rough and made large, clumsy rips in the paper.  So if you try this yourself, I recommend something like a push pin or a paper piercing tool for the job.

The water is three layers of cardstock.  Bottom to top I used Pool Party, Coastal Cabana, and Bermuda Bay.  I ripped the edge to create a soft, torn look and sponged the torn edge with white ink to simulate sea foam.  I also used my scissors to rough up the edges of the sand layer a little before I adhered the card together.

The great thing about writing in the sand is that you don't have to worry about the scale of your letters compared to other elements on the card.  People write words in the sand in GIANT letters or small ones, and it looks great either way.  If I'd had some small, flat seashells I would have added them as well -  but I love it just the way it turned out.  

I hope this inspires you to try something new today!

On a different note, I also opened an Etsy store last night to sell some of my hand-made cards.  WOO HOO!  Check it out in the tabs at the top of this page.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, but when I saw Lydia's post of your creative beach card on FB, my curiosity was aroused! LOVE the sand "scratching"...looks so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is really super Awesome!!!! I love it all!! Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER creative idea. LOVE, LOVE this card. Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, I was trying to figure out how you did the wording before I read all about it, my guess was modeling paste and then scraped the letters in while wet. Was I way off on the. Really like the way the whole card turned out. TFS.

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...