Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Romantic Poppies

Hi everyone!  Today it's a GORGEOUS day outside, and I am itching to get out there and go for a nice long walk, so this will be a quick post.  Today on Splitcoast we had this color challenge to play with:


And for dessert our option is to make the card feminine, which is easy with this color palette!  Here's what I came up with:


It was a different experience for me, making this card.  I just worked really quickly, and sort of went with my instinct without trying to think about things too hard.  Usually I take forever, planning layouts, testing embellishments, and dry-fitting everything before I stick it down.  Today though, I just decided to see what I felt like putting together and go with it.  It came together very quickly and I like the results.  It taught me that I can trust my artistic instinct and not to be too worried about the outcome.  Sometimes it's good for our artistic muscles to be spontaneous like that!  The blue background is dry embossed, and then I dragged the Soft Sky inkpad lightly over the raised parts.  For the poppy panel, I stamped the flowers first and then masked off the blooms and buds with some masking paper (I had already created the masks for an earlier card and saved them, so that went quickly).  It's worth saving your masks if you can, at least for a couple cards before you throw them out.  I just stick them inside the stamp case so I always know where they are:

 
  Then I stamped the Old Letter Writing over the flowers, removed the masks, and colored them with a blender pen.  I think the finished card has a romantic, Victorian look to it, very feminine! 

Before I go, here's a shot of a little golden visitor that came to hang out with me while I was photographing this card.  Isn't he magnificent?
 



Hope you enjoyed - now I'm off to wander the woods and breathe in this fresh morning air!

---------------

Stamps: SU Pleasant Poppies, Hero Arts Old Letter Writing
Ink:  SU Soft Sky, Soft Suede, Pear Pizzazz, Crisp Cantaloupe
Paper:  SU Soft Suede, Soft Sky, Very Vanilla
Accessories:  SU lace, SU markers in Crisp Cantaloupe, Pear Pizzazz, sponge wedge, blender pen, brads from Michael's, Beautifully Baroque TIEF, foam adhesive, Inkadinkado masking paper

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could create cards as fast as it sounds like you did this one. lol I'd have to say my artistic instinct is a little slow. I really have to think things through and get some inspiration, but I've learned to be ok with that. Love this card...very soft and pretty! To answer your question from earlier, I do have a splitcoast gallery, however it's the same as what's on my blog. The plus side of a Splitcoast gallery is you can see a ton of cards at once instead of scrolling through every blog post. :) This link should take you directly to it. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=298129
    Enjoy your day!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! My posts on SCS are the same as on my blog too. But sometimes it's fun to read more about the person's creative process or see what's going on in their life a little bit too. Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. This is really pretty Naomi-had to pop over from SCS to see your garden visitor-interesting looking bug-no competing though with the card you are showing today-I really like how it turned out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your visitor!! Isn't nature grand? Enjoy your day and take it all in.

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...