Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Open Sea

Today I am playing along with the SCS Sketch challenge.  Here's the sketch we had to follow:





And here's my card:


I had to put my bow at the bottom because my circle was so big that it overlapped the ribbon, and the bow wouldn't fit there.  I used SU's Netting background stamp because I thought it resembled fish netting, and I used burlap because it reminded me of the ropes you see on ships.  The ocean/sky background is done with masking and sponging.  For the ship, I first stamped it and cut it out with a circle die.  Then I stamped it again onto some masking paper and cut out mostly the sails, because I wanted them to remain white while I sponged the sky.  This is what the mask looks like next to the stamp (I had already done the sponging at this point):



  I masked off the sails, sponged in the sky and sea, and then removed the mask (I stuck it to the inside of my stamp case so I could reuse it later).  There are these teeny weeny spaces between each sail that I didn't cut out, so after I removed the mask I went in with a Daffodil marker and added some yellow here and there, so that it looks like the sunlight is coming through there.  Can you see it? 



I used a blender pen to add Antique Linen distress ink to the sails of the ship, and I swiped the sentiment piece with the same ink as well, before stamping the words.  They both look white in the photo, but IRL they are off-white, like the way I imagine real sails might be.  :)  This card will be in my Etsy shop starting today!  Thanks for looking!

-------------------
Stamps: SU The Open Sea, GKD Just Because, SU Netting Background

Ink:  SU Night of Navy, Tempting Turquoise, Daffodil Delight, Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, StazOn Jet Black, Antique Linen Distress Ink

Paper:  SU Night of Navy, Crumb Cake, Baked Brown Sugar, GKD 120lb white

Accessories:  Brads and burlap from Michael's, 2 1/2" circle punch, SU circles dies, SU Crumb Cake taffeta ribbon, sponge wedges, post-its, Inkadinkado masking paper, foam adhesive, SU markers in Daffodil and Baked Brown Sugar, blender pen, chalk marker

2 comments:

  1. I commented on SCS' site. This was put into My Favorites. I love it and have many occasions where it would be appropriate for the men in my life (brothers, other relatives, friends--don't want to leave the wrong impression). I don't have that ship image but I do have sail boat images to choose from. I hope you don't mind my CASEing it for personal use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go right ahead, Pat! I'm so glad you liked it. Have fun!

      Delete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...