Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Christmas in August

A lot of stampers do the "Christmas in July" thing, and they began making all their Christmas cards last month, to get a jump on the holiday season.  Well it's August, but better late than never!  I hope to make one or two Christmas cards a week, and then by mid-December I should have all of them done without having to rush around and mass-produce.  I did that last year, and it kind of started to become a chore.  I've decided to make 4 of each kind; two for me to send out, and two for my Etsy store.  I'll upload all my holiday cards to my shop later this fall.  Here's my first one!  
 


It's a CASE of Darleen's card here.  Although her card is so elegant with the neutrals, I wanted some brighter color for this one.  The focal panel is done by first masking off a circle with a post it note, then sponging Crumb Cake ink over the whole piece.  Next, I stamped the pine tree from the LAAT set with Old Olive and Always Artichoke, making sure to stamp off sometimes so it would look like some of the trees are farther away.  A tip about that:  if you ink up the stamp and then stamp it down so that part of it goes off the edge of the paper, DO NOT immediately stamp it down again somewhere else, thinking that you will get a nice, lighter, second-generation image.  Instead, you will get a weird line of darker ink that just looks odd.  I did an example of this below for you to see. 


See what I mean?  It's OK to do immediate second-generation stamping if the entire stamp was pressed onto the paper to begin with.  But I digress!!
 
After the trees were stamped, I sponged some Old Olive at the bottom of the panel.  Finally, I stamped the sentiment over the moon using Midnight Muse ink, and added pearls to one of the trees.  The card base is Midnight Muse, and I ran it through my Cuttlebug with SU's tulip frame embossing folder (I think it's retired now).  I love Old Olive and Midnight Muse together for a non-traditional Christmas color scheme.  Thanks for looking!

-----------------
Stamps: SU Lovely as a Tree, Contempo Christmas
Ink:  SU Crumb Cake, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Midnight Muse
Paper:  SU Very Vanilla, Old Olive, Midnight Muse
Accessories:  Sponge wedges, post-it note, 1 3/8" circle punch, adhesive pearls, tulip frame TIEF 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...