Friday, August 8, 2014

Sunset at the Pier

Hi everyone!  I am playing with a new stamp set today, called By the Sea 2 (by Gina K Designs).  I absolutely love it!  Here's a thank-you card I just made with it:

I love all the vibrant color in this card.  And I just learned how to do the water ripples with a lowlight as well as a highlight, wooooo!  I need to practice a little with them, but I think they look much more dimensional than just using a plain white gel pen, which is what I always did before.

To make this card, I first punched out a circle from the sticky side of a post-it note and put it onto my Whisper White panel, slightly to the left of center.  Then I masked off the sea with another post-it, overlapping the circle at the bottom.  Using sponge wedges, I added color to the sky, starting around the circle mask and working outwards in circular motions.  Nearest the sun I used SU's Apricot Appeal, then Pretty in Pink, and finally blending out to Crisp Cantaloupe towards the outside edge.

I removed the masks, flipped the straight post-it upside down so that it now covered the sky, and began sponging in the sea with Wisteria Wonder.  I made sure to leave it lighter near where the sun was setting, and a bit darker near the edges and bottom of the panel.  Finally I came in with some Concord Crush at the bottom corners and edge to deepen the color.

Next, I stamped the images from By the Sea 2, along with the "thank you" sentiment from Pretty Poppies (Lisa Johnson Designs, MFT) using Versafine Black Onyx ink.  I just LOVE that ink for silhouettes and sentiments.  It is so juicy and rich and dark black.  It does take quite a bit of time to dry for me, though, so I set my panels aside for a couple of hours and did other things.

Then I came back and finished up by adding the reflection of the pier in the water.  To do this, I stamped the pier in Concord Crush ink onto the smooth side of my Stamp-a-ma-jig imaging sheet, and then flipped it upside down, lined it up under the original image, and pressed the ink onto the paper.  It creates a blotchy, imperfect image, which is perfect for a reflection.

Finally, I added the water ripples, concentrating them around the pier where the waves would really ruffle up and lap against the pillars IRL.  To do the waves, I first drew in some sketchy lines with the brush end of a Wisteria Wonder Stampin' Write marker, and then lightly went over the top of the lines with a white gel pen.  The Wisteria Wonder creates the shadow of a rising wave or ripple, and the gel pen creates a highlight that looks like the sea foam, or the sunlight hitting the top of the wave.  I just learned about this a day or two ago (I'm sure everyone else has known about it for ages, ha ha!).  It's a new technique for me so I need to work on it a little.

Anyway, I hope you liked the card for today!  Thanks for stopping by!

-------------------
Stamps:  GKD By the Sea 2, LJD Pretty Poppies
Ink:  Versafine Black Onyx, SU Apricot Appeal, Pretty in Pink, Crisp Cantaloupe, Wisteria Wonder, Concord Crush
Paper:  SU Wisteria Wonder, Concord Crush, Whisper White
Accessories:  White gel pen, post it notes, 1 3/4" circle punch, Wisteria Wonder Stampin' Write marker

2 comments:

  1. Hi Naomi. I came here from Splitcoast Stampers. I saw your post about separating a stamp and you had a link to your blog there. I also saw that you were new to blogging so I decided to try to help you out by following your blog. You do beautiful work. Obviously, blogging may be new to you, but stamping is not! I hope you enjoy blogging. I will enjoy following you.

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...