Sunday, August 10, 2014

Vintage Snowy Postcard

Today's card is another Christmas card, although really it could be used anytime during the winter I think.  It would also make a nice thank-you card for after the holidays, depending on what you wrote on the inside!


I think it's such a lovely, soft, peaceful scene.  There are a lot of possibilities with this stamp (it's one large stamp).  For today's card I kept it simple and monochromatic, but later below I'll show you what I did with it last year.  To do the darker blue inside the oval, I created a mask by stamping the full image onto some scratch paper, then hand cutting out the oval part so that I had an oval frame.  I placed the frame over the image that I had stamped onto my cardstock, and sponged inside the oval.  Then I removed the mask and sponged the outside of the postcard area, getting lighter as I approached the center.  The holly leaves on the outside of the frame are watercolored with Midnight Muse ink, and then I filled in the oval ring itself with a thin line of Diamond Stickles, for some snowy sparkle.  Here's the sparkle in a close-up (click on it to see better):



Last year I did a warm colored card with browns and reds, for a real vintage feel.  Here's how that turned out:


I actually like this one best because it has a more realistic look and a warm glow to it.  But the monochromatic one was quick to make, and there is something calm and serene about it, I think.  The stamp is called "Snowy Postcard," and it's by Stampendous.  Hope you're having a great day - thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blue card, I spotted someone had posted it on Pinterest so came over for a visit. The other version is great too. Thanks for the tip about masking it works really well and the good news is I have this stamp already. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have this stamp as well and love both cards you've created with it. Think I will give the colouring in one a try this weekend. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...