Monday, September 1, 2014

Hope and Peace

Wow, it's been a busy couple of weeks!  I've been in my classroom getting things ready for the new school year, with not as much time for stamping as I'd like.  My life really moves in seasons... and summer is my time to stamp and garden.  Still, I'm going to be intentional about putting aside some time to create each week this year.  It reconnects me to myself when life gets hectic.  I've learned that this kind of connection is a form of self care, which is important.  Not selfish.  :D

Today, I was playing around with iron-off embossing and watercolor paints.  I wanted to try it with a stamp that wouldn't require any detail painting, so I chose Wreath of Leaves by Hero Arts, and a fall color palette.  Here's the finished card:


To make this card, I first inked up the wreath stamp with Versamark and heat embossed it on watercolor paper with clear embossing powder.  Then I painted it with these watercolor paints, which I got for about $4 at Michael's on sale WITH a coupon (double score!!):


I started in the center with the bottom yellow on the far right side.  Then I moved out to some oranges and orangey reds, and finally finished with the reddish brown that you see in the bottom row, fourth in from the right.  I let the whole thing air dry, and then I took it to my ironing board.  I sandwiched the piece between layers of scratch paper and ironed it on medium heat with no steam, until the embossing soaked into the scratch paper and came off of the artwork.  I stamped the sentiment from the Gina K Designs Inspiration Mosaic stamp set using Versafine Black Onyx ink, and trimmed it down close to the edges of the wreath.  As an afterthought, I sponged a little Smoky Slate around the edges and corners to accentuate the reddish brown shading there.  Finally, I mounted the panel onto some black cardstock and onto a Calypso Coral card base.

I like that although it's potentially a sympathy card, the colors aren't dark or somber.  The sunrise/sunset colors imply a message of hope and possibility, which reinforce the sentiment nicely.  That's it for today!  Hope you enjoyed this card - wish me well as we start a new school year tomorrow!  :)

---------------
Stamps:  Hero Arts Wreath of Leaves, GKD Inspiration Mosaic
Paper:  Watercolor paper, SU Basic Black, Calypso Coral
Ink:  Versamark, Versafine Black Onyx, SU Smoky Slate
Accessories:  Watercolor paints from Michael's, SU candy dots in black, clear EP, sponge wedge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...