Tuesday, December 16, 2014

CAS Silver Wreath


Well, I guess the wreath itself isn't silver, so the title is a bit misleading.  But the bow is silver!  This card has no layers at all, just the card base itself.  This clean and simple style is the most challenging for me, because I tend to have inky fingers and it's so hard not to smudge things.  And with no layers, it's hard to cover up your mistakes when you make them!  I think I succeeded though, and I really like how this card turned out.  There is a faux layer around the outside edge, to give the illusion of a gray card base... because I just feel like most cards look better with at least one extra layer!

The bow is heat embossed in silver, and it doesn't really show up in the camera in the first photo.  In the photo below you can see it shine better, but the colors of the card are a little off (which got me thinking, and I'll talk about the colors later):


To make this card, I started with a card base of Gina K Designs 120lb white cardstock (I like the heavier weight when I'm doing single layer cards).  I masked out the center of the card front with post it notes, leaving a 1/4 inch border of cardstock exposed all around.  I also masked off the back of the card, to protect it from the ink.  Then I pressed a Smoky Slate inkpad directly onto the exposed edges of the card front.  This created the gray border around the outside.  

Then, I stamped the fuller wreath from the Wondrous Wreath stamp set in Smoky Slate, and the accent leaves in Basic Gray.  I added Cherry Cobbler berries and a sentiment from the Greetings of the Season set.  Finally, I heat embossed the bow from the Wondrous Wreath set with silver embossing powder.  The heat does warp the cardstock a little, but after it's cool I usually set it under a book overnight and that flattens it out just fine.  As a final touch, I went around the gray border with some faux stitching using the Basic Gray Stampin' Write marker.

I wanted to say that when I took the second photo, the colors weren't at all true to the real card, but to me they ended up looking more like Sahara Sand, with Old Olive accent leaves and Cherry Cobbler berries.  I think that would be a gorgeous color combination, and I might try that next!  Gold might be beautiful on the bow if you used Sahara Sand, instead of gray and silver.  Serendipitous camera accident, I guess!  :D

Well, it's time for me to turn in... hope you enjoyed today's project!  Supplies are below.  Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I already left you a comment on SCS but just had to stop by and say again how much I love your card. And thanks so much for the detailed description on how you made your card - I always appreciate so much when I have lots of info.

    Merry Christmas :-)

    Jocelyn (aka JoBear2 on SCS) x

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...