Thursday, December 11, 2014

Dreams Take Flight card


Today I have kind of a different, artsy card for you.  I was greatly inspired by a the illustrations in a children's book that a fellow teacher read out loud to my class yesterday, called The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush, by Tomie dePaola:

 
It has SUCH gorgeous illustrations! It's a story about a boy who is too small to run and play with the others, but he has a talent for painting. In a vision, the spirits tell him to find a pure white buckskin and paint the colors of the sunset on it. And so he embarks on his quest, a vision quest that is like a rite of passage into manhood - and eventually becomes a well respected paint artist in his community. 

I just loved the look of the sunset, the soft caramel color of the land and clothing, and the bright turquoise fringes on his outfit.  I used torn watercolor paper to simulate the white buckskin, and painted the sunset colors on with distress inks.  I think the texture of the watercolor paper makes it look more like leather, a little.  I started by smooshing four distress colors onto my craft mat: Mustard Seed, Dried Marigold, Barn Door, and Seedless Preserves.  Then I used my Aquapainter to swipe and blend them onto the watercolor paper, starting at the bottom with the lightest color and blending up.

While that dried, I worked on the vanilla panel behind it, stamping the chevron from the Petal Parade set across the top in Creamy Caramel ink (stamping off once each time to get a lighter impression).  Then I used a torn post-it mask to sponge in some brown hills along the bottom like you see on the front cover of the book.  These got kind of covered up in the end by the watercolored panel, but oh well.  They're there!  When the watercolored piece was dry, I stamped the sentiment from the Gina K Designs "Dreams Take Flight" stamp set in Versafine Black Onyx ink.  It's a good sentiment for this card because in the story, the boy follows the directions he receives in his dream vision and eventually finds his purpose in life.

 The "buckskin" canvas is stretched across the vanilla frame with linen thread, and the candy dots are reminiscent of turquoise jewelry. I toyed with the idea of using the Four Feathers stamp set in here somehow but couldn't find a place to put them. Maybe I'll play around with it and think of a way!  I feel like the card is beautiful but it lacks an image of some kind.  Maybe I'll stamp a small soaring eagle in black next to the sentiment somewhere or something, to go with the idea of dreams "taking flight."  My eye needs an image to latch onto somehow.  :)

The vanilla panel with Bermuda Bay fringe were inspired by the beautiful deerskin clothing the boy wears in the story (see the book cover). Hope you enjoyed my experiment! And if you've never read the book, check it out! You too will be inspired by the gorgeous colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...