Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Ink Painting on Kraft


I know I'm posting several times a day, and I don't care.  I'm on winter break and I finally have time to stamp and play, woooo!  I have been eyeing this stamp for weeks now, every time I walk into the craft store... and I am SO GLAD I finally bought it!  What a gorgeous stamp, with so many possibilities!  It's a large, wood-mounted background stamp by Hero Arts, called Flower Text, and it looks like this:


I just love how it looks when it's stamped on Kraft cardstock and then painted with reinkers.  Here's how I did this card:
I stamped the Flower Text stamp onto a 3 7/8" x 5 1/8" piece of Kraft cardstock using Versamark ink, and heat set it with a fine detail black embossing powder.  It helps if you rub the cardstock with an embossing buddy first to prevent little bits of powder from sticking where you don't want it.  Even so, there were some places where it clung, but it doesn't show too much.
When the panel was cool, I sponged around the edges with Creamy Caramel ink and a sponge wedge, leaving the center light/uninked.  Then I used a light flicking motion to add Basic Black ink just to the very edges of the cardstock.  I think sponging around the edges in a lighter color and then flicking the very outside edge with a dark color really adds depth and a finishing touch to the panel.  
With the sponging done, I took out several inkpads and my Aquapainter.  It turned out that as I was painting in the flowers, the Aquapainter ran out of water, and I ended up just painting the flowers in with straight ink - but I really liked the bright color I achieved that way.  Happy accident!  I think I'll do it again next time!  The colors I used for the flowers are as follows:
Leaves:  Old Olive, followed by Mossy Meadow for some shading
Left flower:  Melon Mambo for the large petals, Rich Razzleberry for the flower base and the little stamens (I think that's what they're called)
Center flowers:  Daffodil Delight for the centers, then Coastal Cabana for the circles with dots in them, then Bermuda Bay in the outside circles
Right flower:  Daffodil Delight for the center, Poppy Parade for the petals
When the inks were dry, I mounted the panel onto a piece of Basic Black cardstock that measured 5 1/4" x 4" and wrapped the bottom with linen thread three times.  I secured the linen thread to the back with tape.  Then I threaded some more linen thread through a large gold metal button, added some loops to the back, and secured it to the card with glue dots.  The whole panel was adhered directly to a Pear Pizzazz card base.  As a final touch, I added Glossy Accents to the three taller flower centers, as well as the little stamens on the left hand flower.  In the light, the black embossing and the glossy accents add a lot of shine.  I just love how it turned out, and I want to do a whole bunch more!  Stampin' Up! supplies are listed below, and of course the stamp itself is by Hero Arts.  As of today, this card is available while it lasts in my Etsy store.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...