Monday, December 29, 2014

Moonlit Moose Grateful Card

Click to embiggen!

Here's my second project for today, and much more my style than the last one was, I think!  I do love creating nature scenes with masking and sponging and lots of vivid color.  This one could be a masculine or feminine card, and actually with a different sentiment it could be a good "thinking of you" card as well.  

To make this card, I started with a 3 3/4" x 5" piece of Whisper White cardstock, and I stamped the moose in the lower corner with Memento Rich Cocoa ink.  Then I colored him in with Stampin' Write markers (Crumb Cake for his antlers and Chocolate Chip for his body).  If I'd had the brown Blendabilities, it would have been streak free!  But let's just pretend that those streaks are his fur, ha ha.  After coloring in the moose, I went over him with a Versamarker (making sure not to color outside his outline at all) and then embossed him with clear EP to create a temporary mask so that I could sponge around him.  I say "temporary," because later I ironed off the embossing powder for a matte finish.  

Design tip:  The moose and the moon are both rather large, heavy elements on the left side of the card, so I included three smaller elements on the right side to balance things out:  the sentiment, the land jutting out into the water, and the stamped grasses. 

To create the scenery, I punched out a 1 3/4" circle from a post it note, and positioned it over the back of his antlers.  Then I used a longer post it to mask off the water at the horizon, leaving the sky exposed.  I sponged Wisteria Wonder onto the sky area, followed by Perfect Plum around the top and side edges.  I used Concord Crush ink and a sponge dauber to work in the peninsula of land in the distance on the right.  Then I removed the masks, flipped the horizon mask upside down to cover the sky, and sponged in the water with Pacific Point.  I kept the ink darker near the horizon and lighter towards the shore, because I knew I was going to add some green there.  Finally I removed the post it, sponged Old Olive into the area at the bottom, and stamped the grasses from the Wetlands set in Chocolate Chip onto the bottom right corner.  As a final touch, I used a white gel pen to add ripples on the water and stars in the sky.  And, as I mentioned before, I ironed off the embossing powder so that the moose would not be shiny anymore.  

The sentiment comes from the Truly Grateful set and I stamped it in Chocolate Chip ink onto a scrap of Crumb Cake, trimmed it into a banner shape and matted it onto a strip of Chocolate Chip, which I also trimmed.  This card is pretty much completely flat for mailing, which is nice! 

After making the green and gold card in my previous post, which was really a different style for me, I felt sort of off kilter.  I liked the card, but it wasn't exactly my usual style.  I know it's good for me to work outside the box and stretch myself artistically, but now after creating this one I feel like ME again.  LOL!  Isn't that weird?  Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I hope you try something like it.  This moose is really a great image to stamp with.

Supplies are listed below.  Have a marvelous Monday!


Other supplies:  Post it notes, Versamarker  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...