Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve Bokeh Technique

Click to embiggen!

WOOP, don't you love it when something turns out better than you thought?!  As I was working on this card, there came a point when I was sure it was nothing but a hot mess, and I almost sent it to Card Heaven.  Thank goodness I gave it a second chance, because I am IN LOVE with the results!  Thank you to Diane Dimich for her awesome tutorial here, which works like a charm!  

For this card I started with a panel of watercolor paper that was 4 7/8" x 3 5/8".  I used washi tape to secure it to my craft mat on all four sides, and then I followed Diane's tutorial step by step.  I even used the same colors as she did, because I just love the hot pink hues and all the warmth and happiness they exude.  I did add some Melon Mambo, Daffodil Delight, and Pumpkin Pie circles on top of the white ones, because I had almost overdone the white and I needed to pull in some color again.  I also tried this technique using distress inks, but honestly the Stampin' Up! inks gave me much better color saturation and blending. 

The sentiment is perfect for New Year's Eve or any kind of celebration, really... it would also be good for a birthday card, I think.  It comes from one of my favorite sentiment sets by CAS-ual Fridays Stamps, called "WOOT WOOT."  It has a ton of really fun celebration phrases in it.  I made this one by stacking one sentiment on top of another.  I used Versafine Black Onyx ink because I wanted to make sure the black was really dark and crisp over all that white craft ink and on the textured paper.  And I went bananas with the rhinestones, I know - but I couldn't help myself!  I love that joyful sparkle!

Even though I used Melon Mambo ink, the cardstock seemed a little dark when I put it next to the bokeh panel, and Strawberry Slush was a much better match for me in the end.  I matted the watercolor panel on some whisper white to help it pop.  I love it so much I don't want to send it to anyone, eeeep!  Confessions of a card hoarder... who's with me?  :P

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with this technique, and it was way easier than it looks.  I think this would be a perfect one-sheet-wonder project, where you cover a full sized sheet of watercolor paper and then cut it down into several card fronts all at once.  Thanks, Diane!!  Have a Happy New Year, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I love the added colors to your circles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card and the link to the tutorial! Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! Your card is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...