Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Tracks in the Snow


I'm starting my holiday thank you cards, and I made this one specifically for a friend of ours who loves the outdoors.  To make this card, I somewhat followed Heather Telford's technique here, only I didn't use masking fluid.  I added the snow after everything was dry, with white gel pen dots.  Here are the steps I took to make this card:

First, I cut a 3 3/4" x 5" piece of watercolor paper.  I tore a post it note to mask off the top hill, and then painted the horizon and sky with plain water to moisten the paper.  Then I inked up the smallest tree from the Penny Black Prancers set with Mossy Meadow ink, and stamped it directly onto the wet paper.  I did not spray the stamp as Heather did, for this card.  I repeated that for the second small tree at the top, slightly lower down.  Then before removing the post it mask, I painted in the sky with Lost Lagoon ink and my aquapainter.  I removed the mask and dried the paper with my heat tool a little bit.  

Next, I tore another post it mask for the lower hill and positioned it lower down on the paper.  Again, I painted the white space with plain water to moisten it, being careful not to smear the parts that I had already inked, then I stamped the larger tree in Mossy Meadow onto the wet paper.  Before removing the post it mask, I took some Pool Party ink on my aquapainter and shaded in the hill under the tree.  Then I removed the mask and dried the panel again with my heat tool.  I stamped the sentiment from Stampin' Up!'s Peaceful Petals set in Early Espresso ink and added little animal tracks with the fine tip of a Pool Party Stampin' Write marker.  I also sponged lightly around the bottom and sides of the panel with Pool Party ink for a more finished look to the scene.  

I mounted the piece onto a 3 7/8" x 5 1/8" piece of Early Espresso cardstock, using LOTS of tape because although it was dry, the watercolor paper was very warped from all the water and the heat tool.  The whole thing was then mounted onto a Mossy Meadow card base.  The last thing I did was to add lots of white gel pen dots for snow, making sure to create all different sized dots - some larger, some tiny, the way snowflakes really are.

I hope this inspires you to try something new today!  I especially like the little animal tracks - I think they give the eye something to focus on without having to actually stamp a little creature into the scene.  

Merry Christmas, and happy stamping!


 Also used:  Penny Black Prancers stamp set, post it notes

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love how this card turned out, Naomi! Love the animal tracks too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card Naomi! I'm going to have to try your technique described above. Found you on Splitcoasters from leaving a message on my site! Thank you for your kind words. www.chatterboxcreations-1.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...