Sunday, March 22, 2015

Paper Pieced Thank You and Vellum Adhesive Review


Happy Spring!!  Never mind that we are supposed to get another 3-5 inches of snow today... it's officially spring, and I am so happy that the cold days are numbered!

I felt like using a bright, sunny color on my project today, so I pulled out the Best Year Ever DSP (free Sale-a-bration item) and chose this fun yellow chevron pattern.  I also got the For Being You stamp set for free, woo hoo!  You can still get free items with a $50 order through March 31 - if you hurry!

To make this card, I decided on a Basic Gray card base (sunshine and gray skies, you know the song), to make the Crushed Curry color pop.  The DSP panel measures 3 3/4" x 5", and the Crushed Curry mat behind it is 1/8" bigger.  

I cut a piece of whisper white for the sentiment, measuring 2 1/4" x 4 1/4", and stamped the "thank you" using a stamp-a-ma-jig and Basic Gray ink.  Then I stamped it again on a scrap of the DSP and hand cut all the letters.  I used 2-way glue to adhere the letters to the white panel, and then stamped the hearts in Basic Gray below the word.  I used a Crushed Curry and Smoky Slate Stampin' Write marker to color in the hearts, the drop shadow around the letters, and create the faux stitching on the panel, and then mounted it onto a mat of Basic Gray that measured 2 1/2" x 4 1/2".  I tied some Hello Honey stitched satin ribbon around the DSP panel and popped the sentiment panel up on dimensionals.  As a finishing touch, I used Dazzling Details glitter glue to accent the yellow hearts.  Cute and easy!  Supplies are listed at the end of this post.

And now, on to the vellum tape review!  I have been looking for the best adhesive to hide underneath vellum for a long time.  I've tried everything I can think of; all kinds of tape runners and double sided tape (including those made just for vellum).  I've tried Matte Medium, thinking it would dry to a matte finish and disappear... no luck.  I've tried glue sticks, liquid glue, the 2-way glue pen, and glue dots.  Finally, I just recently bought some vellum tape from Scotch 3M, and I think it's the best thing I've found so far!  Here's a quick comparison of several adhesives for you to see.  




The Scotch vellum tape is the top left adhesive in the first photo.  It doesn't disappear completely under the vellum, but it does perform WAY better than all the other stuff.  You do have to apply it the way it says on the package though!  You are supposed to cut off a piece and then put it onto the surface you will be sticking the vellum TO, not the vellum itself.  Then rub it on strongly with a bone folder or some other straight edge, and peel the backing off.  Finally, lightly press the vellum onto the sticky place.  I tried putting the adhesive onto the back of the vellum and THEN sticking it to the cardstock, and it showed through much more.  So you do have to do it the way they suggest!  It's definitely not perfect, but it's far less noticeable than the other adhesives.  Win!! 


 Here's a side by side comparison of the two photos above.  Click the pic for a much better look:


FYI, other double sided tapes tend to perform pretty much the way the scor tape does, so you can use that as your reference.

I hope that was useful!  Here is the supply list for the card I made.  Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...