Monday, April 6, 2015

Americana Birthday - Faux Bandana and Faux Denim


 Happy Monday, everyone!  I have today off; I'm sure some of you do too.  Back to work tomorrow, but this spring break has been a much needed rest for me!

Today I have a card that was inspired by one that Megan Daves created... but for the life of me I can't find it on her website now!  She is over at iteachstamping.com if you want to see more of her cute projects.  I searched her blog and her card gallery and couldn't find her original card, but it was definitely the inspiration for this one I made today.  She used different stamp sets than I did, and her layout was slightly different.  I am using a couple of retired products, but you could use whatever you have when we get to those parts.

To start out, I cut a piece of Real Red cardstock that measured 3 3/4" x 5".  I used Night of Navy ink and the Flowering Flourishes set to stamp all over the piece, and then accented the dots with vanilla acrylic paint, using the wider end of my stylus to make nice round circles.  I love the faux bandana look that creates!  While that dried, I stamped a couple of the stars from the Bright and Beautiful stamp set (retired - use whatever stars you have, or stamp a background pattern of your choice and die cut it into a star shape) in Real Red and Night of Navy ink, and die cut them with the stars framelits.  I added faux stitching with a white gel pen and a Very Vanilla candy dot to the smaller star, and adhered them together using a dimensional.

The ribbon is the retired 1/2" natural cotton ribbon, which I dyed with Night of Navy reinker to look like denim.  If you have actual denim ribbon, go for it!  Or if you have neither, any navy ribbon will look good here.  All I did was put a little water into a small glass jar and added drops of reinker until it was really nice and dark.  Then I cut off a longer and shorter length of the ribbon and soaked them in the dye for a few minutes until they were good and saturated.  I fished them out, blotted them lightly on paper towels, and let them dry for a few hours.  You can also soak them again if they lighten up too much after blotting.  Mine lightened up quite a bit, but turned out just the color I wanted them to be.

The sentiment was colored with Real Red and Night of Navy markers and stamped onto a piece of Very Vanilla that measures 1 7/8" square.  The sentiment comes from the Hip Hip Hooray card kit; I thought it was perfect for this card, because the patriotic theme reminds me of parades and cheering.  Great for a July birthday or a veteran's birthday!  I mounted it on a 2 1/8" square piece of Night of Navy and adhered it directly to the card with Snail.  The Real Red panel was mounted on a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Very Vanilla.  After I wrapped the dyed ribbon around it I adhered the whole thing to a Night of Navy card base and attached the stars with more dimensionals.  As an afterthought, I added more faux stitching around the sentiment panel, to tie it in with the small star.

This was such a bright, bold, fun card to make.  I just LOVE the faux bandana pattern that you can make with Flowering Flourishes, and I was pretty darn pleased with myself for figuring out how to create the "denim" ribbon when I didn't actually have any!  

Smiley


This card is available while supplies last, in my Etsy store.  Click on the tab at the top of my blog to visit my store. 
 

Product List 

NOTE:  The ribbon listed here is not the ribbon I actually used.  It is the current "natural" cotton ribbon that SU carries, and it is wider.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...