Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Desert Greetings


Hi everyone!  Today I am playing along with two SCS challenges - to make a masculine card, and to use any row (or the four corners) of the following COLOR BINGO CHART:


Come on, how COOL is that?!  I love that idea!  I chose the third vertical column from the left.  For this card I started with a 3 3/4" x 5" piece of CanvaPaper, and just freehanded it with reinkers and my Aquapainter.  No post it notes or anything.  I started by painting the land, starting at the horizon.  I mixed a little Baked Brown Sugar into the Crushed Curry near the horizon and in places, and then dried it all with my heat tool.  Then I painted the sky from the top down, letting it fade away near the horizon.  I dried that with my heat tool as well, and then painted in the mesas with a DRY Aquapainter (no water inside).  You could just use a dry paintbrush dipped in the reinker.  The sentiment is stamped in Baked Brown Sugar, but I had to use my Stamp-a-ma-jig to stamp it about 6 times over itself, because the ink wasn't dark enough.  Matted it on a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of Cajun Craze and then onto a Bermuda Bay card base.

Quick and FUN!  Supplies are below.  Have a great day!


 
Product List 

Also used: CanvaPaper (not Stampin' Up!)
 

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Naomi! Wish I could freehand everything on a card like that! You mentioned that you started with CanvaPaper. What exactly is that and where do you get it? It looks like canvas for oil paints or something, but seems to work great with water coloring by the looks of your card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! You always leave such sweet comments; thank you! :) Here's a link to the Canva-paper I used. It's available at Amazon.com, but I got mine at Michael's. It's made for various mediums, including oil paints - but also works SO BEAUTIFULLY with watercolor. Here it is: http://smile.amazon.com/Canson-Canva-Paper-Pad-Inch-X12/dp/B002PNLWQQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1428660914&sr=1-3&keywords=canvapaper And here are another two cards I made with it, just so you can see how well it takes reinkers: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2534031?&cat=500&ppuser=328968 and also http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2534232?&cat=500&ppuser=328968 I hope that helps! The paper I linked to is 9x12. It also comes in 11x17, which I have. :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, the links don't automatically become hyperlinks in a comment. Sorry you have to highlight and paste. :(

      Delete
  2. You're welcome, Naomi. I love seeing your work. :) Thanks so much for the info too. I'm checking it all out now. I haven't done anything with oil paints, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime in the future. :) Not a problem with the links. I don't mind highlighting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to send another quick note...those were the first two cards I saw of yours! Someone on Splitcoast posted them on fb and I HAD to check them out. That's when I started following your blog. :) Thanks again for the info and another chance to view your cards. :) I'm hoping Hobby Lobby has the CanvaPaper. If not there's a Michaels not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you find it - it's lots of fun!! On mine, inside the front cover of the pad is a chart that tells you all the types of mediums that will work with the paper. Very helpful! I can't wait to see what things you create with it - your work is absolutely gorgeous!

      Delete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...