Friday, August 14, 2015

Up North


Hi everyone!  For this card I was totally inspired by Heather Telford's gorgeous creation here.  I followed her directions mostly, and I just love the way it turned out!  Actually, I bought the Penny Black Prancers stamp set last year BECAUSE of Heather, and all of the gorgeous wintery cards she does with it.  It has beautifully detailed trees in three different sizes, and it's become one of my all-time favorite sets.  I don't even care about the other stamps in the set.  I just love it for these trees!

To start, I cut a piece of CanvaPaper to 3 3/4" x 5" and taped it down to my work surface using painter's tape to mask off the edges.  Then I cut some hill shapes from frisket film, and placed one down for the topmost hill.  I pressed it firmly onto the paper because the paper is textured, and I didn't want paint seeping underneath.  I actually used super cheap watercolor paints from Michael's, and just freehanded a sunset sky, starting with yellow at the horizon, working up to pink, and finally blue.  Then before removing the frisket film, I inked up the smallest tree stamp with Walnut Stain distress ink, spritzed it once with water, and stamped it down.  I repeated this three more times for the highest row of trees.  I dried the paint back a bit with my heat tool, and then stamped the trees again over the top of the already-stamped images to bring out some of the detail.

I repeated this process for the two lower hills, increasing the size of the tree stamp for each hill as I went down.  For these lower hills, I overstamped the trees again with Peeled Paint distress ink.  I used my watercolor brush to pull some of the wet paint and smudge it along the hill lines.  Some of the ink leaked underneath the frisket film here, so the lower hills look a bit greener, like there is some grass showing through the snow.  A happy accident, ha!  To finish the card, I tore the painted panel along the bottom, mounted it on a piece of Early Espresso and tore the bottom of that to match, then mounted the panel onto a Perfect Plum card base.  I added little stars with my white gel pen and three Crumb Cake candy dots as an accent, since the torn edge wandered up higher on the right side.

Hope you like this project - thanks for stopping by!

Stamps: Penny Black Prancers, SNSS Nature Silhouettes (for the grasses)
Ink: Walnut Stain and Peeled Paint distress inks
Paper: CanvaPaper from Michael's, Early Espresso and Perfect Plum cardstock
Accessories: Neutrals candy dots, frisket film, painter's tape, watercolors from Michael's, spray bottle with water, white gel pen

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Naomi! Love it...TFS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your rich warm sky behind the trees. I am glad you were inspired by some of my cards. Those trees are 'must have' stamps in my opinion; I'm sure you will get plenty of use from them.

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...