Sunday, October 18, 2015

Christmas Cutout


Hey, stamping friends!  It's another gorgeous day today and I've been out running errands.  But I did make time early this morning, while I was drinking my coffee, to make another Christmas card to add to my slowly growing pile!  This one is a cutout card, so the front of it reveals what is stamped on the inside panel.  It was fun to make, and you could do this with any shape of die, for lots of different occasions.

To start, I cut a card base and a 4" x 5 1/4" panel both from Perfect Plum cardstock.  I also cut a 4" x 5 1/4" piece of Very Vanilla for the inside.  Then I used temporary adhesive to place the Perfect Plum panel where I wanted it to be on the card base, and ran it through my die cutting machine with the largest of the Festive Flurry framelits.  It took a couple of passes, but it was able to cut through both layers of cardstock at once.  Then I separated the pieces, and ran just the top panel through the Nordic Sweater embossing folder (by Sizzix).  I tied a ribbon wrap around this panel with vanilla seam binding.  I recommend using a very thin, soft ribbon like seam binding for this part, because after you run the cardstock through the embossing folder it becomes a little flimsy.  You can even see on the left side if you look closely, how the ribbon is pulling the cardstock up a bit, even though I tried not to tie it too tightly.  Then I used a combination of ATG tape and 2-way glue to adhere the panel to the card base.  I would have loved to use foam adhesive, but with all those little cutout edges poking out, I wanted to make sure everything was stuck down tight to make it sturdy.

I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to position the second-largest snowflake in the Festive Flurry set onto the inside panel, so that it would line up into the opening when the card was closed.  Then I stamped it down using Pale Plum ink (it is SUCH a great coordinating color for Perfect Plum; I'm so sad that they retired it!).  I did a test run on scratch paper, stamping the sentiment in Perfect Plum over the snowflake, but it just wasn't dark enough to really stand out - so I went with Elegant Eggplant.  Just right!  The sentiment comes from the Bright & Beautiful stamp set.  Finally, I embellished the snowflake with rhinestones.  There's a lot of texture and "busy-ness" going on in this card, but I think it works because the overall design is simple and there are really only 2 main colors - plum and vanilla.

I hope this inspires you to try something similar with whatever dies you have in your stash!  Thanks for stopping by!

Stamps: SU Festive Flurry, Bright & Beautiful
Ink: Pale Plum, Elegant Eggplant
Paper: Perfect Plum, Very Vanilla
Accessories and Tools: Festive Flurry framelits, Stamp-a-ma-jig, rhinestones, vanilla seam binding, Nordic Sweater TIEF, ATG tape, 2-way glue pen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...