Monday, October 19, 2015

Color Challenge Card #3: Abstract Lakeshore and Elegant Thanks


Hey everyone!  I am having such fun being a Guest Designer for the Splitcoaststampers Color Challenge this month!  Here is my first card for today's challenge.  It's an abstract background that I turned into a scene!    Today's colors are Old Olive, Calypso Coral, Bermuda Bay, and Elegant Eggplant:


This one is my favorite color palette so far.  I love, love love playing with bold bright colors!  I've done a lot with masking and sponging lately, and felt like trying a completely different technique.  So this time I used the Wrinkle-Free Distress technique with watercolor paper (I just think of it as the watercolor SMOOSH technique, ha!).  I love how every time you do this technique, you get a different background.  You never know how it's going to turn out, but it's always interesting!  You get what you get, and you don't have a fit, my students would say, ha ha!  The challenge is to then figure out what you can make out of the swirly results.  Check it out!


How fun is THAT?!!  Click on it to see it up close for the best effect!  First, I swiped my Calypso Coral ink pad across my nonstick craft sheet.  Underneath that, I swiped my Bermuda Bay inkpad, and finally under that my Old Olive ink pad.  I misted the whole thing with water until the ink began to bead up, and then I placed a 3 3/4" x 5" piece of hot press watercolor paper onto it.  I wiggled it just a tad and smooshed it evenly down to make sure all the corners were covered.  After letting the paper absorb the ink for a few seconds, I lifted it off and let it dry overnight.  I meant to take a photo of it at this point but I got so excited to stamp on it that I forgot.  LOL.  Anyway, if you imagine it without any of the stamping, you'll see that I had a smear of Calypso Coral at the top and Old Olive at the bottom, with a sort of triangular Bermuda Bay area in the middle.  My intention was to use the Elegant Eggplant as a dark neutral color, rather than black or brown.  Don't forget to try your darker colors that way!  Darker shades of color make really beautiful alternatives to black and brown when you're creating naturescapes.

I thought this looked like a little water scene, so I added a small Bermuda Bay horizon by sponging lightly against a sticky note, and an Elegant Eggplant shoreline in the distance, also by sponging.  I used the small Fir Row stamp by Stampscapes to stamp some tiny Elegant Eggplant trees in the distance, and Stampin' Up!'s Wetlands set to stamp the grasses in the foreground, also using Elegant Eggplant.  Finally I defined the water line with a white gel pen, and stamped the sentiment.  I matted the piece onto some Elegant Eggplant cardstock, and then onto a Bermuda Bay card base.  And look at it!  I could never have completely planned for it to come out that way.  I really recommend trying this technique - especially if you are a person who likes everything to be neat and controlled.  This will push you into an abstract, "whatever" mode, which is very freeing.

Later, I tried a mixed media card with the same colors, which was also a lot of fun.  First, I brayered Old Olive, Bermuda Bay, and Calypso Coral inks onto damp watercolor paper.  I had this idea that brayering onto damp paper would produce some sort of new, cool effect.  Nope.  Just looked like regular brayering.  Oh well, worth a try!  I spritzed it with more water, blotted it to mottle the color, and let it dry.  Then I ran it through the Beautifully Baroque embossing folder, sanded it lightly to distress it, and rubbed the raised parts with gold acrylic paint (the Golden brand is my absolute favorite; this color is Iridescent Gold Deep (Fine):



Eeeep!  I loved it already, just as is!  I wanted this background to be the star of the show, so I just matted it onto some ivory cardstock and then onto an Elegant Eggplant card base.  I added a ribbon bow and a simple sentiment, and voila!



The sentiment is from the Lovely, Amazing You photopolymer set, and I used Nestabilities Standard Circles dies to cut out the sentiment and the mat for it.  The ribbon is some stuff I've had in my stash for a long time, and I can't remember where I got it.  It happened to match the cardstock pretty well, so I went with it!

Hope you liked what I did with today's colors - thanks for stopping by! 

My Splitcoaststampers gallery

My Facebook page

Stamps: SU Lovely Amazing You, Wetlands, Stampscapes Fir Row
Paper: Watercolor paper, Elegant Eggplant, Bermuda Bay, GKD 120lb Ivory
Ink: Bermuda Bay, Calypso Coral, Old Olive, Elegant Eggplant
Accessories and Tools: Beautifully Baroque TIEF, gold acrylic paint, brayer, sponge wedges, white gel pen, sticky notes, circle dies, purple ribbon, foam adhesive, nonstick craft mat, spray bottle with water, sanding block 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Naomi-thought I would drop over and see how you created your color challenge cards-they are both amazing-so glad I did- I will have to try them both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! It was a fun experiment! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Naomi, I'm so glad I popped over to read how you created your landscape card. It's quite amazing that the wrinkle-free distress technique produced such a base for your creativity. Love this card!

      Delete

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...