Thursday, October 8, 2015

Each Sunrise


Good morning, everyone!  I have a bold and colorful scene for you today.  I made it yesterday for the Splitcoaststampers sketch challenge, which was to use this layout:


I knew I wanted a sentiment on the long banner piece, so I searched my stash for one that was more vertical than horizontal.  I found this one in the Gina K Designs Inspiration mosaic set, and right away I knew I wanted to do a sunrise/sunset scene.  

I started off with a piece of Whisper White cardstock, and masked off the bottom half with sticky notes.  Then I sponged on some Daffodil Delight ink where the sun would be setting, making sure to leave a tiny bit of the white paper showing in the middle.  This is the secret to getting a sunset that really glows.  Then I blended in various pinks, from lightest to darkest, outward from the sun: Regal Rose, Watermelon Wonder, Melon Mambo.  I stamped the palm fronds from Stampscapes in the top right corner with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  When the top part of the panel was dry, I flipped the sticky notes around to mask off the sky, and mirrored the same sponging for the water.  The trick for sunlight or moonlight reflected on the water is to make the reflection longer than it is in the sky.  I brought the Daffodil Delight down farther on the panel, and left more of a strip of white space in the center, since the sun throws a longer reflection of itself on the surface like that.  I also used a little bit of Rose Red and Cherry Cobbler towards the horizon and the edges, to make the water area darker than the sky.  Normally I add white gel pen ripples to the surface, but I left them off today because I wanted the water to be smooth and glassy instead.  I thought it would go with the sentiment better by being more peaceful and still. 

I sponged just a hint of Basic Black ink at the bottom of the panel and repeat-stamped the Grass Cluster image from Stampscapes along the bottom.  The sentiment was heat embossed in white onto a black banner, cut out with Stampin' Up!'s banner framelits, and adhered to the top left corner.  I made my banner shorter than it looks in the sketch because I didn't want it to cover up too much of the sunset.  Finally, I matted it on panels of Basic Black and Watermelon Wonder cardstock, and then onto a Basic Black card base.

I hope you enjoyed this bright and colorful project today.  I sure enjoyed creating it after a long day at work!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...