Sunday, October 18, 2015

Guitar Card


May I just say that Carol Lovenstein is a GENIUS.  Isn't this the coolest card?!  I watched her tutorial on Splitcoaststampers and knew I had to try it.  I ordered a thin sheet of self-adhesive wood veneer from Amazon two days ago, and it arrived today!  Sunday!  In the mail!  Those USPS carriers must be working overtime!

Here's the sheet of veneer.  It is SUPER thin, and very sticky once you peel off the backing.  I got mine here on Amazon, but I would recommend just going to Home Depot or Lowe's or something... probably way cheaper!  


It was surprisingly durable, and not as prone to cracking or splintering as I thought it would be.  In the future though, if I make this card again, I will look for some slightly thicker stuff, maybe 1/16".  This stuff is almost like cardstock thickness, and it tends to buckle under the pressure of the elastic cording.  In fact, I had to snap the picture quickly before it bowed forward a little. I put it under a book overnight to see if the elastic strings will relax a bit.

I cut a piece to 4" x 5 1/4" and then in half lengthwise.  I rotated one half 180 degrees to create the look of a seam down the middle, and adhered it to a same-sized panel of black cardstock to give it some stability. 


I die cut a circle out of the center.  For all circle measurements, see the tutorial link above.  Having the large and small Nestabilities Standard Circles dies was just the ticket.


I made a circle frame out of Basic Black cardstock, and a thinner, smaller one out of gold foil paper.  Adhered them over the hole in the veneer panel.  I also die cut a piece of veneer using part of a Deco Labels framelit (the smallest one), and sponged it lightly with Creamy Caramel ink to darken it.  This will be the bridge of the guitar.

 

Using my paper piercing tool, I poked 6 holes in the bridge, spacing them 1/4" apart.  Threaded some elastic gold cording through and added gold mini brads.  I stuck the bridge onto the veneer panel with Scor Tape and foam adhesive.


Then I pulled up the strings and taped them to the back of the panel.  Covered the back with foam adhesive and put the whole thing onto a black card base.  I forgot the ivory bar that goes between the bridge and the strings, but I think it turned out pretty well for my first try!

The guitar pick is one I had lying around, but I know you can get them inexpensively online or at a music store.  You could even make one out of cardstock.  I adhered it to the card with one Stampin' Dimensional.  Here's the finished card again: 


I had so much fun trying this tutorial out!  Thanks for a great card idea, Carol!

Stamps: none
Ink: Creamy Caramel
Paper: Basic Black, gold foil
Accessories and Tools: Thin wood veneer, circle dies, Deco Labels framelits, gold cording, gold mini brads, sponge wedge, LOTS of adhesive, guitar pick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...