Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Story of Your Life


Hi everyone!  I have a "bookish" card for you this time, inspired by the Smart is Cool challenge at Splitcoaststampers today.  I think the sentiment goes really well with a book or journal image, don't you?

Honestly, this card evolved from the little book outwards, and all I really knew from the get go was that I was going to make a little miniature book to put on the front of it.  To make the book, I cut two 12" x 3" strips of Typeset DSP and sponged all around the edges of both sides of them (front and back) with Crumb Cake ink:


I cut them up into 2" x 3" pieces and folded each one in half, for a total of 12 pieces:


See how much easier it was to sponge the long strips before cutting them all up?  I did NOT want to sponge the front and back of all 12 little rectangles.  *shudder*
 
Then I adhered all the pages together back to back using double sided tape:


I cut a 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" piece of Early Espresso cardstock to make the book cover, attached a bit of Old Olive taffeta ribbon to it, and stuck all the pages onto it.


Then I used a half of a glue dot to secure the ribbon down onto the pages like a little bookmark - I also trimmed the ribbon to the length I liked.


I stamped the Hardwood background onto a piece of Baja Breeze cardstock using Early Espresso ink, and sponged around the edges of it with both Baja Breeze and Early Espresso.



I stamped the sentiment from the Gina K Designs Great Sayings stamp set in Early Espresso onto a scrap of Very Vanilla cardstock, and tore around the edges.  I also sponged the edges of it with Crumb Cake ink so that it wouldn't be so bright.  Then I assembled the card, matting the blue panel onto a piece of Early Espresso and then onto an Old Olive card base.  I attached the book at a slight angle, and the sentiment above it.



 To me, it kind of looks like a journal that someone sat down at a table to write on.
I hope you enjoyed this more unusual and whimsical card.  I just love playing the challenges; it makes me create things that I otherwise wouldn't think to make.  Always an adventure!  :)

Stamps: GKD Great Sayings, SU Hardwood background stamp
Ink: Early Espresso, Baja Breeze, Crumb Cake
Paper: Very Vanilla, Early Espresso, Baja Breeze, Old Olive, Typeset DSP
Accessories and Tools: Sponge wedges, Old Olive taffeta ribbon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...