Friday, October 16, 2015

Watercolor Drip Technique


It is a GORGEOUS fall day here in Minnesota, and it makes me so glad to live in a state where we get four definite seasons.  OK, I'm not so happy about it in January - but let's not get ahead of ourselves, right?  I mean forget about the card; just look at the leaves in the background of this photo! Smiley

But I digress.  Today's SCS challenge is to use a technique called Watercolor Drips.  Officially, you are supposed to wet the paper first, but I did not.  I wanted my drips to be tightly controlled this time, and go where I WANTED THEM TO GO, not wherever the heck they decided to wander.  Some days I am all about the freedom of bleeding, blooming color, but this was not one of those days, ha ha!

To start with, I drew a black line with my Sharpie across a piece of watercolor paper with a ruler.  Then I added more to the bottom of the line to make it a bit looser and wonkier.  To keep my drips evenly spaced, I started in the center with two drops of Old Olive reinker, which I placed on top of each other on the center of the black line.  Then I tipped the paper so that the ink would run down the panel.  Because the paper was dry, the ink ran slowly and I had time to tip and turn the paper however I wanted, and could stop the ink drip when I felt it was long enough.  I dried it with my heat gun and then went on to do the Daffodil Delight and the Coastal Cabana drips, one at a time, drying each one before going on to the next.  Then it was on to Tangerine Tango and that old beauty, Ballet Blue.  I really miss that color!  Finally on the outsides, Real Red and Rich Razzleberry.

I accented the drips with Candy Dots, matching them as closely as I could, and added a sentiment from the Cheerful Critters set, heat embossed in white on Basic Black cardstock.  I popped the sentiment up on foam adhesive, matted the panel on Basic Black, and adhered it to a Bermuda Bay card base.

That's it!  Kind of clean and simple and whimsical, I think!  A fun challenge for today!  If you want to see the video on Watercolor Drips, check it out here.  Thanks for stopping by!

My Splitcoaststampers gallery

My Facebook page

Stamps: Stampin' Up! Cheerful Critters
Ink:  Versamark, SU reinkers in Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Coastal Cabana, Ballet Blue, and Rich Razzleberry
Paper: Watercolor paper, Basic Black, Bermuda Bay
Accessories and Tools: Heat gun, ruler, black Sharpie, SU Candy Dots (Regals and Brights), white embossing powder, foam adhesive 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or a comment? Leave it here! I do read all comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...